Saturday, November 27, 2010

Kuala Lumpur



WOW!! What a pleasant surprise we got yesterday. The last time I was in KL was 37 years ago with the Australian Navy - I vaguely remembered some significant things like the huge National Mosque, but my overall memory was of a "typical" Asian city. So much so that I was a little disappointed then when we subsequently visited Singapore (which was modern and, to me at that time, boring). But KL has definitely changed and is a very attractive Asian destination. It reminds me of Singapore in it's modernity - but is very green and much less chaotic than other Asian cities that we have visited. There is much to see and do here and combined with visits to other parts of the country (such as the Heritage listed towns of Penang and Malacca and the Genting Highlands) makes me think that we could definitely come back to Malaysia sometime. We saw the big train station in KL - and I think that I can recall reading something somewhere about train based holidays in Malaysia - must research it when we get back home.

As I said, the city is very green with many gardens and natural greenery along the highways (bananas grow like weeds here). The city has a British Colonial heritage and, despite the nation's independence, seems
to take great pride in this heritage and are positively preserving it. Our shore tour here was very good - had the usual 5 Star hotel lunch in the city's oldest hotel, but this time we had some traditional Malaysian food. Amongst other things, I had some very nice Mutton Curry, Fish Curry, Beef in Pepper sauce and an  bsolutely delicious (and HOT) Laksa.

It is surprising just how tiring these shore visits can be - and now after now visiting 7 Asian cities in 11 days, I think that many onboard (including us) are looking forward to some quiet sea time. We now have 4 days to get to Mumbai and then 5 more to get to Sharm El-Sheikh in the Sinai.

You can view a Youtube video about our visit to Kuala Lumpur here

No comments:

Post a Comment